The above traces are from 64 Cross Country flights I had in 2012, totaling 20,080 miles (32,316 km - the most km flown in the US in 2012 according to OLC) and 370 hours, averaging 313 miles per flight. The flights spanned 6 states (California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Oregon) and multiple landmarks and National Parks (Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Zion Canyon, Cedar Breaks, Escalante, Lake Powell, Canyonlands, Arches National Park (Moab), Golden Gate Bridge, Big Sur, Napa Valley) and visited 11 airports (5 of them unplanned landouts).
This was my best year so far - more distance, more hours and more personal bests than any prior year.
Some highlights from 2012:
- Finally completed my Diamond badge and 1000km diploma
- Set New Byron distance record (633km) and New Hollister out and return distance (702km)
- Flew over San Francisco to Point Reyes and Half Moon bay at 18,000 feet in wave
- Got to 25,000 feet in wave over Minden (Lake Tahoe)
- Had my longest flight of 1255km olc distance (1051km FAI triangle) from Ely
- 5 flights of 1000-1250km from Ely during a 10 days period
- Captured the PASCO Egg with a flight from Jean (Las Vegas) to Truckee
- Finished 3rd in the OLC-USA and 9th worldwide